When we were married almost 3 years ago, we decided to be intentional about having fun together! One way that we did this was to brainstorm a 101 in 1001 days. The first one was up in early 2016 and we spent the rest of that year trying to chase up a few extras. We ended up completing 77.2% of version 1.0 of 101 in 1001 days.
The Mission: Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days. 1001 days is 2.75 years beginning 1 January 2017. This means our deadline is 29 September 2019.
Update: We cut this version short after receiving orders to move to Germany: Hallo Deutschland! We completed 41.6% of Version 2.0.
The Criteria: Tasks must be specific with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching needing to work at to be accomplished. All tasks are designed to be done together.
We brainstormed this list over the course of a few days and came up with a list that were both excited about.
- Take a walk together every day for a week
- Go to a classical music concert together
Wine tasting (in a state other than New Mexico) Take a cooking class together.
- Complete a triathlon together.
Attend a rugby match
- Have a dance lesson together
- Go to the horse races together.
an a secret date for each other (only dress code and time known) Travel to a third continent together.
- Run a 10k together (same race….)
James Bond style dinner date!
- Read three books on the Schuler’s list! (Much ado about nothing!)
- Ash’s “Married for God.”
- Go to a conference/convention together
- Go biking together.
- Watch these movies together: one Bond movie for each of the Bond’s…. (6) (watched 3)
Build a snowman together. Nap in a hammock together. Go sailing together.
- Have a water fight
- Go to a Disney amusement park (Anna: Yes)!
- Become parents
5 national parks (not previously visited)
- Go to a contemporary music concert
visit a pueblo
- Go to the Space Museum (NM)
Go to a waterfall Read Philippians Picnic at White Sands national monument Mark dia de Los Muertos
- Visit Nebraska (so Dwight has visited all US states).
- Ski trip where Anna does lessons for 3 consecutive days
Host Anna’s family in NM Spend Christmas with Anna’s family Dwight runs a trail race (with A crewing) in either Australia or New Zealand Dwight introduces Anna to at least three more G relatives Go to a Formal Ball watch west wing together Live **** together Go camping with a group of friends ***** away from ******* Watch the Winter Olympics
- Host a wine tasting
Go bowling together Go to a range together (archery range) Drive Golf Balls
- Visit San Francisco
- Produce a 5-10 minute film
- Paint the walls of one room
- Buy a dining room table
Volunteer at an ultramarathon
- Visit the Quemada lightning field between May-Oct
- Attend a film premiere
Attend a ballet performance
- Visit a presidential estate or library
- Visit a Smithsonian museum
- Play tennis
- White Water Rafting
Go to the top of Sandia Peak via cable car
- Drive in movie
- Spend a night at 10,000 Waves in Santa Fe
- Go antiquing
Go to a distillery Buy a piece of art
- Play monopoly
- Host a themed dinner party
- Go stargazing & ID constellations, stars, or planets
Visit the Washington DC Mall
- Fly a kite
- Build a fort
- Build a gingerbread house
Make from scratch ice cream
- Play pool
- Play ping pong
- Go on a photo walk
- Visit the Rattlesnake cave
- Finish West Wing.
- Visit the Apple Barn
- Dine at Alinea (Chicago).
Celebrate 5thannivesary in Hawaii [We celebrated in Thailand instead]
- Take a hands-on art or diy class together
- Dine at French Laundry
- Build **********
Camp in New Mexico
- ride on a ferris wheel (Anna: yes)
- explore a corn maze together
Anna becomes a US citizen
- Organize an event together
volunteer together go to an Oktoberfest
- work out together five times in one week
- make gluten free ravioli
- make a birthday cake together
- go rockclimbing
- do a multi-night hike
- picnic in the snow
- write a letter to each other every week for a month
You’ll notice that some of the 101 in 1001 days items are censored above. Some things just aren’t for sharing! We make no apologies for not sharing the entire list. But there’s still plenty there. We hope this serves as motivation and inspiration for you in developing your own 101 in 1001 list!
Listening. Observing. Participating. Writing. Photographing. Reflecting.
Anna Blanch Rabe is an Australian-born writer and photographer. You can follow her adventure on Not A Pedestrian Life, or Facebook. For more domestic things take a look at Quotidian Home or her previous website, Goannatree. For Anna’s professional work, see Anna Blanch Rabe & Associates